There are some old-fashioned approaches to dental care that are no longer recommended by dentists. In fact, some of these approaches can actually harm your teeth and lead to gum recession. You can protect your teeth and gums by following some simple tips.
Brushing Tips To Avoid Gum Recession:
- If you have been brushing your teeth in circles, it is time to change. A healthier approach is to use short strokes, brushing each tooth back and forth.
- You must brush the entire surface of each tooth. Brush the chewing surface, the inner surface, and the outer surface.
- You should always avoid harsh brushing. Harsh brushing can damage the tooth enamel, and it can damage your gums. If this practice is continued, there can be space between your teeth and gums where residue and bacteria can accumulate. This can increase your risk of gum disease. Instead, take time to brush each tooth gently.
Dental Tips For Healthy Gums:
You may already know the importance of brushing and flossing after each meal. There are more dental tips you can follow to keep your gums healthy.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles. When you brush properly, it will thoroughly clean your teeth and gums.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste. The healthiest brushing method is only useful when you use a good toothpaste.
- Visit your dentist at least twice each year, or as often as he recommends. Regular cleanings are essential for dental health.
- If you notice any problems with your gums, do not wait for your next dental appointment. Make a special appointment to consult with your dentist. Some examples of issues with gums include pain or bleeding when you brush and floss, teeth that are loose, or difficulty chewing your food.
These dental tips can result in oral health for life. You will have a nicer smile, and reduce the risk of losing your teeth. If you are not sure which products are right for you, or if you have not had an examination in awhile, take this opportunity to call Stoner Periodontic Associates for an appointment.