When your teeth are sensitive, it can interfere with your life. It can be the deciding factor in the beverages and foods you consume, and you may even be bothered by cold air in the wintertime. Some tips can decrease tooth sensitivity so you can enjoy a fuller, healthier life.
1. Choose the right toothpaste. Toothpastes designed for sensitive teeth can make a difference. You can find one at nearly any store that carries oral care products, or ask your dentist to recommend a toothpaste.
2. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles. Soft bristles are not as harsh as hard bristles. They are gentle to your teeth and gums. Your teeth can be clean while you reduce sensitivity.
3. Choose products containing fluoride. Fluoride strengths the teeth and reduces sensitivity. Look for fluoride on the label when you buy toothpaste and mouthwash. Your teeth will become stronger, healthier, and less sensitive.
4. Ask your dentist about a mouth guard. If you grind your teeth during the night, you may not realize it because you are asleep. This habit can wear down tooth enamel, and make your teeth more sensitive. When you wear a mouth guard at night, you will not grind your teeth when you sleep. A mouth guard made specially for you will prevent grinding and reduce sensitivity.
5. Avoid acidic beverages and foods. Acid wears down the tooth enamel and increases tooth sensitivity. Some of the most common products that are highly acidic include citrus fruits, citrus beverages, sugary products, carbonated beverages, and coffee.
As it is virtually impossible to eliminate all acidic products from your diet, make a point of brushing and flossing immediately after consuming these products. Even if you do not eliminate them entirely, prompt oral care can prevent damage to your tooth enamel.
These dental tips can go a long way in reducing tooth sensitivity. Even if sensitive teeth are not permanently cured, it can be less of a problem. You can enjoy a full range of hot and cold foods and beverages, take care of your oral health, and enjoy your life without pain.