When spring arrives, you may begin cleaning your home to get ready for the warmer weather. It is also a great time to learn oral tips that get your mouth ready for a change in seasons. Having a clean mouth will lower your chances of developing cavities or other negative conditions. Here are seven ways to prepare for spring oral care.
1. Replace Old Toothbrushes. As a general rule, you should replace your toothbrush every three months. Using a toothbrush with damaged bristles can prevent an even clean and can harm your mouth. Also, using a new toothbrush will ensure old bacteria will not get your sick.
2. Eat Spring Foods. When spring arrives, many fruits are in bloom. Besides tasting delicious, these foods are filled with vitamins and minerals. Also, they are good for your teeth. For instance, strawberries contain malic acid, which naturally whitens teeth.
3. Check Expiration Dates. Items you use for your oral health, including mouthwash, have expiration dates. It is important to adhere to these dates to make sure the products you use are working effectively.
4. Restock Your Medicine Cabinet. When spring rolls around, replenish your supply of dental floss. You should floss regularly with at least 18 inches of material. Over time, this accumulates. Since you do not want to run out, it is important to have extra available.
5. Avoid Dry Mouth. Many products contain chemicals that are bad for your oral health and worsen dry mouth, so it is important to read labels and avoid them. Having a dry mouth promotes bacteria growth that leads to bad breath and tooth decay.
6. Clean Your Tongue. According to The American Dental Association, it is important to brush and floss daily. It is also important to scrape your tongue as well. This removes bacteria that leads to bad breath.
7. Schedule a Dental “Spring Cleaning.” If you do not have a regular cleaning appointment scheduled, spring is the perfect time to make one. A dentist will examine your mouth and fix problems before they become worse.
For more oral care or cavity prevention tips, visit the experts at Stoner Periodontic Specialists. This team’s goal is to heighten your total oral health so that you and your mouth look and feel as good as possible.