Many people believe dental implants are only for cosmetic purposes. While implants can certainly improve your appearance, they also provide other benefits.
How Dental Implants Improve Oral Health
- Oral care can be difficult when you are missing teeth. Your toothbrush and dental floss can cause discomfort to exposed gums, and it is hard to adjust your brushing and flossing routines to accommodate gaps between your teeth. As you are less likely to do a thorough job with home oral care, it can increase your risk of losing healthy teeth.
- Home oral care is easier and more effective when you have dental implants. When there are no spaces between your teeth, and your gums are not exposed, your teeth and gums will be clean and healthy.
- Missing teeth can also cause healthy teeth to shift. Tooth enamel can become worn, and teeth can become loose. Both of these issues can lead to tooth damage and tooth loss.
- Obtaining an implant is a simple way to keep healthy teeth in their correct positions. When they remain in place, they will stay strong and healthy. You will not lose healthy teeth, and they will not become damaged.
How Dental Implants Improve Overall Health
- Missing teeth can cause problems for your general health, too. One example is adjusting your diet because you cannot chew properly. When you need to make changes in your diet to accommodate missing teeth, you may be avoiding nutritious foods that you should eat every day.
- When you eat without a full set of teeth, you may experience digestive problems. You may be swallowing food without chewing it, and develop indigestion, gas, or stomach cramps. Food that is not chewed properly is not completely digested. Your body does not obtain all the nutritional benefits from the foods you eat.
Dental implants can solve these issues. You can eat the foods you enjoy, and the foods you need for good health.